CINCINNATI, Oh. (May 22, 2019) – More than 1.6 million Ohioans plan to travel for the unofficial start of the summer travel season and AAA wants to make sure your vehicle is roadside ready. AAA expects to rescue nearly 15,000 Ohioans during the upcoming Memorial Day holiday weekend.
The majority of Ohioans, a little over 1.5 million, will travel by automobile between Thursday, May 23 and Monday, May 27, the official five-day Memorial Day holiday travel period.
The AAA Roadside Rescue team responded to 14,440 requests for service in Ohio during the 2018 Memorial Day holiday travel period with the most common issues being vehicles that required a tow, flat tires, lockouts and battery replacements.
Travelers are advised to have their vehicles inspected by trusted repair shops, including AAA/Bob Sumerel Tire and Auto locations, before hitting the road for the holiday weekend.
“A roadside breakdown is an unpleasant experience to start a holiday vacation, says Troy Cox, AAA Bob Sumerel Tire and Auto. “Travelers are urged to take the time to prepare before taking off with a vehicle checkup to prevent these common roadside emergencies from delaying your trip.”
AAA offers the following tips to prepare for the kick off of summer travel season:
- Get a AAA tune-up before you go: Take your vehicle to a trusted repair facility to perform any needed maintenance such as oil changes, fluid level checks, battery tests and tire inspections. As a bonus, AAA’s Mobile Battery Service offers free battery testing for AAA members.
- Be prepared with road maps: Use AAA’s TripTik Travel Planner tool to map a route for your trip. Travelers can also use the AAA Mobile app to take advantage of member discounts, recommended Drive trips and trusted AAA Travel guides.
- Get travel accessories and safety kits: Visit your local AAA office for an emergency road kit in case of a roadside breakdown. A well-stocked emergency kit should include an extra mobile phone and car charger, a flashlight with extra batteries, a first-aid kit, a basic toolkit with tire pressure gauge and adjustable wrench, windshield washer solution, jumper cables and emergency flares or reflectors, drinking water, extra snacks and food for travelers and pets.
- Save on attraction tickets: AAA members can save with discounted attraction tickets to popular travel destinations such as the Cincinnati Zoo, Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Disney World as well as movie theater and concert tickets.
- Check the status of your AAA membership: Make sure the membership is up to date and review coverage level options to ensure lifestyle needs are met in case of a roadside emergency. Drivers should also program 1-800-AAA-HELP in their phones. For special offers on new AAA Memberships, use the promo code: "SAFETYNEW" - for current members renewing, use the promo code: "SAFETY."
AAA provides automotive, travel, and insurance services to 59 million members nationwide and nearly two and a half million members in Ohio. AAA advocates for the safety and mobility of its members and has been committed to outstanding road service for more than 100 years. AAA is a non-stock, non-profit corporation working on behalf of motorists, who can now map a route, find local gas prices, discover discounts, book a hotel, and track their roadside assistance service with the AAA Mobile app (AAA.com/mobile) for iPhone, iPad and Android. For more information, visit www.AAA.com.