Keep Your Home Secure This Holiday Season
Home is where the heart is—especially during the holidays. It’s also where the gifts are, enticing burglars while families are out celebrating the season. Here are some ways to protect your home and keep it secure during the holidays.
Check for weak points
• Trim trees and bushes near doors and windows so burglars have fewer places to hide.
• Install motion sensor lights and exterior lighting that shines on potential hiding places in your yard.
• Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.
Take simple security steps
• Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave the house, even for a few minutes.
• When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and pick up your newspapers and mail.
• Indoor and outdoor lights should be on an automatic timer.
• Leave a radio or television on so the house looks and sounds occupied.
• Avoid discussing vacation plans in public places, and never announce on social media that you are planning to be away.
• Consider investing in a burglar alarm that alerts the police, fire department, or other emergency services.
• Create a home inventory. In the event that you do need to file a claim, a thorough accounting of your possessions will make the process easier.
Avoid holiday safety hazards
• When setting up a Christmas tree or any holiday display, make sure doors and passageways are clear inside your home.
• Be sure your Christmas tree is mounted on a sturdy base so children, elderly people, or family pets cannot pull it over on themselves.
• If you use lights on your Christmas tree ensure the wiring is not damaged or frayed since faulty wiring could cause a fire.
• Place your Christmas tree in water or wet sand to keep it green.
• Never place wrapping paper in your fireplace.
Don’t forget insurance. Make sure you have the policy you need to cover your prized possessions. Visit aaa.com/homeinsurance for more information about homeowners and renters insurance or visit your local branch to speak with an agent today.